GTPS releases official document for control and mitigation of deforestation


After an extensive process of research and joint construction the Roundtable on Sustainable Livestock (GTPS) publishes the document entitled White Paper on mechanisms for control and mitigation of deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon Biome. The agreement paper is motivated by the need of information with regard to the actions in progress focused on reduction of deforestation in the Amazon and the increasing efficiency in livestock farming.

The Centre for the Brazilian Tanning Industry (CICB) is currently a member of GTPS, which consists of representatives from different sectors that make up the value chain of cattle production in Brazil.

Through the creation of numerous framework conditions, GTPS assumes the commitment with zero net deforestation target. Considering that the Brazilian legislation is one of the most restrictive in the world, in regard to forestry aspects, allowing legal deforestation levels in the Amazon Biome for economic purpose being up to 20%, whereas the remaining 80% maintenance costs are the owner’s responsibility.

GTPS believes that a better control of deforestation rates and the increase and incentive of livestock’s efficiency are crucial for the achievement of zero deforestation goal. In these three areas, Brazil already accounts with successful instruments and initiatives that must be known and are entirely described in this official document. Please click here to the full article.